PT Down

We’re having issues today with the Panda’s Thumb’s server over heating. We are trying to let it cool down so we can access it remotely.

We have a new server nearly ready to go, and we can press it into service if necessary. We’re not using it yet because we are deploying a new layout for PT at the same time we deploy the new hardware. We are also switching from MySQL to PostgreSQL.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://scit.us/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.fcgi/943.

Use KwickXML Formatting to markup your comments, acceptable tags: <b> <blockquote> <br> <code> <em> <email> <h1> <h2> <h3> <h4> <h5> <h6> <i> <li> <list> <ol> <p> <qref> <quote> <s> <strong> <sub> <sup> <u> <ul> <url>. You may need to refresh before you will see your comment.

Remember personal info?

Posted by William Brookfield on June 6, 2007 2:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems Reed. I am always interested in what the thumb has to say.

Posted by Wesley R. Elsberry on June 6, 2007 2:39 PM

The same server also hosts the AntiEvolution.org, Austringer.net, Baywing.net, TalkDesign.org, and OnlineZoologists.com domains. We will restore service as soon as we can for all of these.

Posted by Hammer on June 6, 2007 2:47 PM

Funny, I initially assumed it was down due to overloading in response to the Republican debate last night, during which millions of Americans were told by Gov. Huckabee that any question about evolution is, in fact, a question about whether one believes in God or not.

CNN has a whole article about the evolution-deniers self-defense during the debate: Debate Evolves into Religious Discussion

Posted by J-Dog on June 6, 2007 2:51 PM

Ah Ha! I suspected as much when ALL my favorites were down at the same time. Thanks for posting the message - I was relieved to see it was not DaveScot or one of his nefarious cohorts.

I may have to actually visit UD without the soothing and filtering of AFTB.

Posted by PennyBright on June 6, 2007 3:22 PM

Nice to hear it’s not a DOS attack or anysuch. Consider yourself missed.

Posted by Forthekids on June 6, 2007 3:27 PM

Wow…I post one quote from Duane Gish over at AntiEvolution.org, and it burns up the server for five domains. Far out…

I’ll have to remember that when I get ticked off at raging Darwinists in the future. Quote Gish…burn up their servers.

Posted by Lou FCD on June 6, 2007 3:51 PM

Thanks for the info, Reed.

Posted by Arden Chatfield on June 6, 2007 3:56 PM

Forthekids wrote:

(Comment # 35216)

Probably oughta go easy on that in the future. The neighbors are starting to talk.

Posted by FtK on June 6, 2007 4:33 PM

“I don’t think it was that – I think it was your salacious inquiries about Richard Hughes that finally popped their servers.”

[blushes]

Gosh, I hadn’t thought about that. You might be right…

Posted by apollo230 on June 6, 2007 5:00 PM

The Pixy Kingdom wants the Panda’s Thumb to formally acknowledge the existence of pixies. If the Thumb refuses, more pixy dust will be sprinkled on your server!

(In all seriousness, good luck with a fix)

Best regards,
apollo230

Posted by Kristine on June 6, 2007 6:00 PM

Being that I’m turning over a new leaf in my bloggy world, the lamp of my heart shall guide us through the darkness.

Kum-ba-yah, my…um, uh…well
Kum-ba-yah!
Kum-ba-yah, er, argg…
Kum-ba-yah!
Someone’s server’s down,
Kum-ba-

Oh, please. I can’t do this. Sorry.
*Scarfs chocolate*

Posted by Blake Stacey, OM on June 6, 2007 7:19 PM

With PT down, I tried my hand at writing about Behe’s problems with chloroquine resistance. I don’t think I made any ghastly errors, but then again, IANA molecular biologist….

Posted by Mike Elzinga on June 6, 2007 8:40 PM

We’re having issues today with the Panda’s Thumb’s server over heating.

Thats’s OK, you are still irradiating the ID/Creationist movement in the infrared. Who knows what else might show up outside the visible slice of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Posted by Rich on June 7, 2007 12:36 AM

I see Wes has blown my server donation on his everquest subscription. Arden is jealous because he feels TEH_SEXI_HAWT zone, but TEH_SEXI_HAWT doesn’t feel him. He thinks I’m magnificent!

Posted by Monado on June 7, 2007 3:01 AM

It sounds like a busy night!

Posted by Gerdien de Jong on June 7, 2007 5:00 AM

Why doesn’t Panda’s Thumb go to Science Blogs? There is much less server trouble there.

Posted by Frank J on June 7, 2007 5:52 AM

I don’t buy the “server heating” thing. I think that Steve Steve, who runs the PT, is taking time off to read Behe’s new comic book.

Posted by fusilier on June 7, 2007 9:06 AM

That’s Professor SteveSteve. Let’s be respectful of his accomplishments, FrankJ.

fusilier
James 2:24

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on June 7, 2007 10:10 AM

Gerdien de Jong wrote:

(Comment # 35229)

The Science Blogs business model is not consistent with a large group blog that is owned by a non-profit corporation, the Talk Origins Archive Foundation.

In addition we’ve made tons of customizations to the blogging software and don’t want to give up control of our site to another entity.

Posted by Arden Chatfield on June 7, 2007 11:10 AM

Hey Reed, can we hang out at your house? ATBC’s been down for a day and a half now and we’re all suffering withdrawal. :-(

Think of all the things Dave Scot could be doing that are going unridiculed!

Posted by Arden Chatfield on June 7, 2007 11:15 AM

Uh oh, I was right. Dave is now comparing Gonzalez to people killed by the Nazis:

Plus, check out Dave’s insightful commentary, showing his deep knowledge of academia:

Any university without the ideological bias would be thrilled to have such a prolific young astronomer on staff.

Yeah, I’m sure Bob Jones is all set to scoop him up.

Posted by Frank J on June 7, 2007 11:39 AM

fusilier:

Sorry. For my penance I’ll reread Dembksi’s “Is Intelligent Design Testable?”

Posted by J-Dog on June 7, 2007 11:45 AM

“Let’s go, while we’re still young!” - Al Czervik

We have to get to fisking the All New And Improved

DI/ID “textbook”, now “religion-free”! So many comments, so little time.

Posted by Reed A. Cartwright on June 7, 2007 12:18 PM

PT et al. are now up again, running on our new server—a little sooner than expected. This will mean that we will have to take them down to make scheduled changes to the new server that we have not had a chance to implement.

The backend of PT will be down for a while longer.